Thursday, August 20, 2015

Two Desserts and a Spatula

Sugar-free Lime Cheesecake

I promised you a recipe for my sugar-free lime dessert.  Isn't it beautiful?  I actually have two desserts for you today, and a funny story along with them.  

My sweet hubby's birthday was earlier this month, and I made his favorite, a German chocolate cake.  The recipe is pretty simple, just two boxes of cake mix and two tubs of icing, plus extra pecans for the top layer.  That's how I roll, and it really has been a long time since I baked a regular cake.  I don't eat sugar, and it's too tempting to make something I can't have, so I usually just buy him a cake.  

Well, I made the first layer (in a 9 x 13 pan), cooked it, and put it out to cool while I started on the next layer.  I mixed it up, and put it in the oven while I put my feet up for a bit.  After about fifteen minutes, I started washing the dishes, and much to my dismay, found this:




What in the world to do?  It was way too late in the day to bake another cake.  If I tried to find it in the cake, I'd tear it up.  Oh, I forgot to mention, that the cake mix also had chocolate chips in it, which  would make it near to impossible to find that missing edge of the spatula.  So, when Jem got home we made the decision to let it go and tell everybody to be careful while eating it...

At the party, Jem said, "How many of you have ever been to New Orleans?"  Some raised their hands and gave him funny looks.

"And how many of you have ever had the King Cake?"  Some raised their hands and looked at each other quizzically.  (Not sure about that word, but it fits this situation.)

"Well, tonight we're introducing the Jewish version."  More funny looks.

"My dear wife has baked a wonderful German chocolate cake for my birthday, but there's one small problem."  I am turning red with embarrassment at this point.  "It seems that a small corner of her spatula has disappeared into the cake batter."  By now, I am truly, completely mortified and red as a beet.

"So, we've decided that whoever finds the spatula gets a prize!"  He beamed, while everybody roared with laughter.  I laughed, too, but I was totally done in because everybody turned to me to see if this was another one of his jokes.  (He's famous for being a jokester.)

I nodded my head, "It's true...and I haven't baked a cake in so long, my spatula dry-rotted!"  Everybody roared with laughter and I did, too.

So, everybody was very careful as they ate the cake, which they all said was fabulous.  After a few minutes of munching, the stray spatula corner was found by LaVonne, and she won the prize -- a styrofoam ice chest full of used golf balls. (You guessed it -- that was the jokester's idea.)  We all cheered, and after that, everybody relaxed and enjoyed their cake and vanilla ice cream.

It was a fun party and it was a birthday cake that will live on in infamy. Here's a picture of the cake, and the birthday boy.



Now, here's that recipe I promised you:

Lime Cheesecake (sugar-free)

CRUST:

1 c. almond meal
1/2 c pecans, chopped fine
1 T. Stevia in the raw
4 T. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

FILLING:

8 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
1 package of sugar free instant pudding
1/2 c. lime juice (these were fresh off our own tree, hand-squeezed on my mama's antique juicer)
1 cup skim milk

TO PREPARE:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Mix together the crust ingredients and then press into a lightly greased pie pan. (I used a square glass one).  Bake the crust until the edges are slightly browned (about 10-15 minutes). Place the dish on a rack to cool.

FILLING:

Mix all of the filling ingredients  with an electric mixer until well blended. (Use a deep bowl, or you'll make a big mess like I did).  Pour the filling over the cooled crust.  Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.  

Enjoy! 

My husband and I loved it, and I hope you will, too.  Let me know if you try it.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 I sometimes share my posts  with  friends at :





Charlotte at Spiritual Sundays
Janis with Sunday Stillness

THE SUNDAY COMMUNITY – #GIVE ME GRACE @SEE SPEAK HEAR MAMA

 Kathy’s Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life 

  All Things Bright and Beautiful Link-Up


 Jennifer Dukes Lee Tell His Story
Thursday  Favorite Things

Friendship Friday 
  Faith Filled Friday at Missional Women
 Fellowship Fridays at Christian Mommy Blogger

STILL SATURDAYS @SANDRAHESKAKING
PLAYDATES @LAURABOGGESS

 My Fresh Brewed Life with Barbie – Weekend Brew

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Gail! Reminds me of the English Plum Pudding where prizes are baked into the pudding for Christmas dinner and the one who finds the coin comes out really on top. How grand that love can turn our slip-ups into sensational blessings for all.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Kathryn. G-d works everything for good to those called according to His purpose. In my younger years, I would have thrown the cake out and never told a soul. In my old age, I've learned to laugh at myself. Life is an adventure!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.