Friday, December 5, 2014

Wisdom Wednesdays - Shabbat Blessings


Did you know there are blessings that flow to you when you observe G-d's Sabbath? Did you know that Adonai observed the Sabbath Himself?  Genesis 2: 1-3  records this:  

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
And on the seventh day G-d ended his work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.
And G-d blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which G-d created and made.

I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church, and remember asking more than one person why we didn't observe the seventh day as the Sabbath.  I was told it had been changed when Jesus rose again, on a Sunday, and the Sabbath became the L-rd's Day.  

That answer never made sense to me, even at nine years old.  I continued to feel like they were wrong, but did not argue. I did as I was told, until one day, I decided I wanted G-d's ways.  Not a preacher.  Not a religion.  Not a denomination.  I started studying the Bible on my own and asking G-d for His wisdom and His Truth. 

I found that nowhere in the New Testament is there a statement to indicate that the Sabbath was changed to Sunday.  

Verse 3 above says "G-d blessed the seventh day" and "sanctified it", which means He set it apart as holy.  

Yeshua, our Messiah, observed the Sabbath, as did His disciples.  He also told us "to observe whatsover things I have commanded you."  If you believe Yeshua is G-d in the flesh, then He was the One who commanded us to observe the seventh day as the Sabbath.  

"But," you will say, "What difference does it make as long as I observe 'a' Sabbath?"  That, dear Gail-Friends is not what Hashem said to do.  He didn't say, "Observe whatever day you choose."  


You may be offended by this post, but I implore you to seek G-d's face and His Word about it.  
It's not my desire to argue or debate, but to inspire you to seek the answer to this for yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed reading this post. Good food for thought here. I also struggled with this as I grew up in a Christian home that did not observe the Sabbath. I have never been satisfied with any person's reasoning why we shouldn't be keeping this commandment when we readily accept the other 9 commandments without question. Thank you & may God bless you for sharing your convictions on this subject.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.