Friday, October 24, 2014

Israel Trip - The Tomb of Yeshua?





Our next stop was the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.  The Catholic Church believes this place to be Golgotha, (the Hill of Calvary), where Yeshua was crucified, buried, and from which He was resurrected. Personally, I am not sure this is the correct site.  I will write about another place in my post tomorrow. 

The artwork on the wall of the church is beautiful and my photograph does not do the colors justice.  The crowd of people visiting this site was huge.  It is a common practice for visitors to kneel down and kiss the rectangular piece of stone on the floor.  



Above you can see some of our tour group kneeling before the tomb.  

I wandered around a bit and took a few shots of the interior of the church.Keep in mind, this church is built in front of a cave in the mountain wall.   Unless you visit Jerusalem, you can't imagine how mountainous the terrain is.  



I noticed this table where candles are sold.  I also noted the Arabic writing on the gold strip.  

Below is one of the many grottoes around the room, all blackened by candle smoke.


The candle table below was also blackened by soot, but beautiful.



Shapes and decorations fascinate me, like this arch blackened by smoke and soot.

As we left the church, I took this photo of the light outside.  It felt good to walk out into the sunlight and leave the darkness behind.  



Tomorrow, I'll show you where I believe Yeshua was buried and resurrected. It is a beautiful place of light and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.