Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Israel Trip - Jerusalem, the Old City


We came into the Old City of Jerusalem in the late afternoon, and headed for our hotel in the Jewish Quarter. I enjoyed seeing the sights on the way. 



The wall in the picture above is the one built by Suleiman in 1537.  This is the long sidewalk / ramp leading to the Jaffa gate.  Lots of hustle and bustle and traffic here, both people and cars. At sundown, the Sabbath begins, so people were rushing about. 


Above is the Tower of David, aka the Jerusalem Tower.  The site was named for King David because he prayed at this location.



Excitement built for me as we began to see more and more Jewish influence.  The photo above is one of my favorites.  I love this young mother herding her children along, probably on the way to the synagogue, or home to prepare for the Sabbath.  The Chassidic Jewish men wear black suits with white shirts, and black hats.  We began to see more yarmulkes (the hats on the little boys above) and women with head coverings. 

We passed a hotel, and saw a wedding party departing.  I thought you might enjoy seeing how the cars were decorated.  Jews believe the Sabbath is a favored time to conceive children, so I guess starting your honeymoon on the Sabbath is even more favored.  


This bike shop (below) caught my eye.  I enjoyed trying to read signs in Hebrew.  I could read some, but not all. Hebrew is a difficult language because it doesn't relate to English at all.   I've had a hard time learning it.




The photo above shows one of the many large Chanukah menorahs throughout the Jerusalem Quarter.  Below is one lit at night.  I loved being there for the Festival of Lights.



When we arrived at our hotel, we had to make a quick trip to the neighborhood grocery store because, in the Jewish Quarter, everything closes at sundown.  I was fascinated by the dragon fruit (on the right).  I'd heard of it, but never seen it before.  The fruit on the left are persimmons, I believe.


As we crossed the street back to the hotel, I was struck by the empty streets.   Everything stops on Shabbat, including traffic. It did my heart good to see couples and families strolling along the streets after dark that evening.

I was also thankful for the decorations related to the holiday, unlike the Christmas decorations in America.  By that, I mean decorations of Santa and reindeer, etc. which have nothing to do with the birth of our Messiah.  But that's a whole 'nother post.  (Y'all bear with me...I'm Southern)



At the entrance to the hotel dining room, we saw this beautiful display of Chanukah menorahs.  There were matches, candles and prayer sheets for our use.  Also, each evening of the holiday, a rabbi led in the prayers, and free jelly doughnuts were available for the hotel guests.  FUN!





After dinner, we hit the bed.  Our schedule on the trip was quite hectic. We were up at 5:00 am and going till 10:00 at night.  Sleep was sweet that night because I felt at home, and at peace, in the city that has captured my heart.

My next post will be about the Garden of Gethsemane, so please stop by next week. 

Blessings to you Gail-Friends.



***************
  I'm linking up today with:

 
Spiritual Sunday

GRAND Social

All Things Bright and Beautiful Link-Up
 The Gathering Spot Link-Up

Modest Mom Monday Link-up 
Share Your Stuff Tuesday

Jenny's Monday Meet-Up



Winsome Wednesday A Wise Woman Builds
Whole Hearted Wednesday 
Wake Up Wednesday

Hearts for Home
Favorite Things 

Fab Creative Friday
Friendship Friday 
Freedom Friday

2 comments:

  1. A very very beatigful place to visit thanks for sharing your photos =) #ww

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing another interesting post of your Israeli trip. I am currently doing a Hebrew word study on Shabbat, so it was interesting to see how they honor this commandment with empty streets, shops closed, etc. So refreshing & unlike anything I see in America. I am so enjoying your pictures, too. Looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.