Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Wisdom Wednesdays - Be Strong! Take Courage!








 In our synagogue, we say, "Chazak! Chazak! Venischazeik! (written in Hebrew above) when we finish each book of the Torah.  It means, "Be strong! Be strong! And may we be strengthened!" This part of our Torah study is very precious and encouraging to me because it is a much needed reminder.    


There have been times in my life when I thought I could not take another step.  I have grown weary and wanted to give up, but I heard G-d say to my spirit, "BE STRONG!"  I've been blessed because I chose to listen to that voice.  

A few years ago, my daughter was in the hospital, very ill, and I had been awake for so many hours I'd lost count.  I sat alone in the waiting room in the early, dark hours of morning and thought,  I am so tired, L-rd, I can't go on.   

At that moment, a security guard walked into the room, carrying a portable radio.  He sat it on a desk near me, turned it on, and walked away.  The radio was on a gospel music station, and the song playing at that moment was His Strength is Perfect by Steven Curtis Chapman.  Through that song, I heard the L-rd say, "BE STRONG, and take courage!"    His strength and courage came into my soul and my body, and I was able to keep going for many more hours.

No matter what task is before you and no matter how weak you feel as you face the load you have to bear, G-d will help you.  He will give you strength to go on.  He will help you finish what you've started, no matter how weak you may feel.  

One other point...I don't know about you, Gail-Friends, but sometimes fear strikes my heart, especially when I watch the news.  Over the years, I've learned to renew my mind by focusing on His Word instead of giving in to fear.  I take courage.  I take His strength to replace the anxious thoughts.  

Here are some words of encouragement for times of weakness or fear:



"...take heart and BE STRONG" (Deuteronomy1: 28 and 3:28).

"BE STRONG, and keep your courage high; there must be no cowardice, no flinching before them" (Deuteronomy 31:6).

"...BE STRONG, and keep your courage high" (Deuteronomy 31:7, 23).

"Courage then, BE STRONG . . . BE STRONG you must, and keep your courage high, carrying out faithfully the law my servant Moses enjoined on you; never swerve to right or left and you shalt order your life truly. . . . Courage, BE STRONG, that is what I ask of you; no room for fear and shrinking back, when the L-rd your G-d is at your side wherever you go. . . . Courage, then, BE STRONG" (Joshua 1:6-9, 19)

"… keep your courage high and BE STRONG" (1 Kings 2:2).

"BE STRONG, fight we valiantly for our people, and for the city walls that are sacred to our G-d" (2 Samuel 10:12 and 1 Chronicles 19:13).

"Courage, then, my son; the L-rd be with you, and prosper you ever. Build a house for the L-rd your G-d, as he has promised . . . BE STRONG, and keep your courage high, never doubting, never daunted. . . . To the task, then! The L-rd will be ever at your side" (1 Chronicles 22:11, 13, 16).

"Here is this house to be built, the L-rd's sanctuary; on you his choice has fallen; courage! To the task!" (1 Chronicles 28:10,).

"Be strong, courage! To the task! Never doubting, never daunted; the L-rd your G-d will be at your side, never failing you, never forsaking you, and see that you have strength to do all that must be done for his temple" (1 Chronicles 28:20).

"But you, take courage; never slacken your resolve . . . Upon hearing the inspired words of this prophet, Asa's courage rose" (2 Chronicles 15:7, 8).

"BE STRONG, he said, and keep your courage high; let there be no shrinking, no faint hearts, at the sight of the Assyrian king and the hordes that follow him; we have many more on our side than they on theirs. Theirs is but mortal strength; we have the L-rd our G-d to aid us, and fight on our side" (2 Chronicles 32:7, 8).

"Nay, fears are not for you . . . Take courage, and be strong! With that, I found my strength again; Speak on, my L-rd, said I; you have put a new heart into me" (Daniel 10:19).

"Take heart, keep high your courage, all you that wait patiently for the L-rd: (Psalm 31:14)

G-d understands our frame, and He encourages us to be strong and courageous.  Remember, it is our choice. 

My dear Gail-Friends, no matter what you're going through today, I pray for you to choose to BE STRONG and take COURAGE.  


As you meditate on these Scriptures, you might enjoy listening to this song, entitled "Chazak!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kAvGTqmIE

***

 I'm linking up today with:

Modest Mom Monday Link-up 
Meet-Up Monday
Chatting at the Sky Link-Up for August



A Wise Woman Builds
Whole Hearted Wednesday  
  Wake Up Wednesday
 
Favorite Things 
Hearts for Home 

Fab Creative Friday
Friendship Friday 
Freedom Friday



1 comment:

  1. Gail! Thank you so much for linking this with All Things Bright and Beautiful this week! I, too, have been struck dumb with fear and almost a despair - wanting to throw my hands in the air as all is lost when seeing the news. And, so many conflicting reports. I am clinging to His Word and you are right - enCOURAGED by it on all fronts - though wishing we all lived happily in Mayberry. Ya know? Standing with Israel and our brothers and sisters in the midst of such dire persecutions at present. On our own fronts - we must power on in His Strength. We have the battle of Bedford Falls to wage in our own backyards.
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by today and taking the time to leave a comment! I read each one of them and love to respond back to those who visit! Blessings to you.